Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Unlocking Olympus: Chapter 1

Unlocking Olympus

Chapter 1: Alectrona


My head throbbed from the impact and I struggled to stand. Mt. Olympus was in complete chaos. Pillars were crumbling, the ground was shaking and every creature was running and flying for their lives. I regained my balance as I watched the Olympians inside their throne room, all seated in their respective thrones, brooding over some matters.



Zeus, in the center of it all, closed his eyes, his forehead crinkled in agitation.



“The gates are closing.” Hera was repeating but her husband wasn’t paying her any attention. “Husband!”



I don’t have time for this. It’s flee or perish inside Olympus. I flew past the satyrs, crashing amongst clouds. The gates are closing!



My heart pounded inside my chest, my head still hurt from being hit by falling debris. I passed a hand over my forehead and felt Ichor on my fingers. Groaning, my eyes blurred and I crashed on concrete clouds, right shoulder first.



I rolled on my back, a gnawing sensation of wanting to give up creeping up my spine. Closing my eyes, I was ready to accept my fate.



Hearing something crash, my eyes snapped open to witness a large chunk of what used to be part of an obelisk falling down on me. By then I felt someone gripping my arm and I was lifted in the air. Crashing on a nearby fountain and almost drowning in its deep waters, I swam up. This used to swarm with naiads but they must have fled too. I have to flee too but…



My head shooting up to find my savior, I saw a familiar physique… it’s a god I used to know but at the moment, my memory was in shambles. I couldn’t pinpoint who he was.



He was mouthing something at me but I couldn’t hear him with all the ruckus. That or he just threw me so far away from him. Who was he? Why did he bother helping me?



Never mind. If, by any chance, I survive this and he too, I shall thank him then. But now, it’s every god for himself. Floating up in the air, I felt my feet dragging me back to the ground but I struggled to keep afloat. I must get out of here. I started for the closing gates and I could barely see the Horae trying to keep it open. And even at this distance, I could hear them commanding everyone to go out. To flee for safety.To flee from…



A loud crashing sound coming from behind me startled every one of us and we all looked at the source. My eyes widened. A whole building had crashed down on… on…



That was the same spot that god earlier was.



I pursed my lips and clenched my fists, feeling a bit remorseful. But I shook my head. No. It’s every god for himself. I resumed flying towards the gate. It’s his choice, it’s his fate to die. I don’t care. I shouldn’t care.

Growing into their full sizes, the women of the Horae pulled on the colossal gate but it kept on closing still. I have to hurry! Below me, I caught sight of nymphs, satyrs and other lesser gods trying to go back, the looks on their faces telling me they couldn’t. They all seemed like they were being pulled back by some force. Afraid that I might be pulled back too,I flew on full speed, my arms shielding my face from the humid clouds. After that, I… finally got out.




The view of the human world’s lights shone from below. Looking up once at the growing distance between myself and the sky, I resolved to descend into human grounds. The rumbling noises from above was deafening and I knew things weren’t resolved still in Olympus.

My feet touching the ground, I looked around, retaining my invisibility. The human world has changed that much since the last time I came down.

It was funny because I never really liked the human world and being earth-bound, for that matter. As one of the lesser goddesses of the sky, I had the pride that equaled every sky rulers. For us, the earth is something that was in the lower class.

But I had no choice.

I had to survive this.


And so, as I limped my way through the streets, my head tilting to both sides to study the humans around me, I suddenly felt so weak. And I never felt this way in my whole life. I should always be sky-bound. But as things were in the skies right now, with the rumbling thunders and lightning strikes, I knew it was impossible.



I wonder how many times I glanced upwards. It’s an instinct, a desire, an inherent need.



I wonder how long have I walked. It was a tiring effort. I haven’t really used my feet for this long. Above there, I didn’t really need to walk or run. We just float about endlessly, monitoring clouds, guiding birds and keeping the sky blue. Okay, so maybe that’s a tad bit senseless but well, it was part of our job description.



I wonder how my body can keep up with this. I have to rest.



Collapsing on barren land, my head moving to scan my surroundings, I realised I was somewhere far from the human city. Sitting up, feeling the wind flow around me, I weakly watched the bright lights of the cityscape. So this is what their night-time looks in the human world.


Maybe I should return? I thought, standing up. I didn’t know where to stay. I could manipulate a human family into thinking I was one of them. But to what extent? Until when shall I keep masquerading? I wouldn’t know. And it could drain me. Being here on earth has already depleted my power and if I do that…

I lied back down. Running out of options, I raised a hand to the sky. At least, give me strength to endure the night. And then tomorrow I shall start anew.

I am just a lesser goddess. I have limitations. Maybe this was one of them. I bitterly grinned.

Closing my eyes, I began to chant a song and hoped that somehow, it could ease me to sleep. Voices started to follow mine and I scanned my surroundings once again.

Dryads.

I watched them as they surrounded me. What were they doing? I remember having dryad friends when I was young but I was often scolded by my mother to stay away from them because they were lower in class than we were. Because I was sky and they were earth.

But tonight I didn’t care. I saw a familiar face among them and relief washed over my body. I was safe.
 


 Hi again! Chapter 2: Adamaris will be posted on Thursday (May 28, 2015). I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as Marigold and I had fun writing this. I am looking forward for your comments. ♥
Check out more of my stories in Wattpad!
Read Project: Exodus by Marigold Uy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from you! ♥